Hītori

Te Whare o Toroa has long been a stronghold of the Ngāti Awa and Mataatua tribes. Within the area were certain key wāhi for the confederation of the tribes including the matirerau gardens where the kumara was first planted and Tūpapakurau, an ancient school of learning.

The wharenui at Te Whare o Toroa Marae has been known as Wairaka since at least 1894 when the original was built and opened. In 1912, a second wharenui with the same name was constructed at the site and has remained in place since this time.

In 1966, on the back of the Wairaka consolidation scheme involving land blocks identified as Waimana Parish allotments 260a, 260b, 260c and 260d, the Māori Land Court ordered that part of the remaining land, labelled as the Wairaka A40 block, annexed with it measuring almost 5400 acres.

The order set aside the area as a Māori reservation for the purposes of a meeting, place, building site, recreation ground and a place of historical and scene interest for the common use and benefit of the Māori people of New Zealand generally.

The first trustees following this order were: Samuel Jaram, Robert Hudson, Ngahuia Stowell, Charles Bluett, Daphne Williams, Te Hau Tutua and Frederick Lawson.

The current trustees are as follows:

· Brad Haami – Chair

· Materoa Dodd

· Terri Wilkins

· Kay Read

· Fred Hudson

Trustees are elected for a period of three years and come up for renewal or replacement at the Annual General Meeting. If you would like more information about the trust then please contact : [insert appropriate contact details in a button]

A committee was established to be responsible for the operations of the marae and these are as follows:

· Fred Hudson – Chair

· Terri Wilkins – Treasurer

· Dayle Hunia – Secretary

· Tare Delemere – Marae bookings

The committee meets on the third Sunday of every month at 11am, and roles are appointed at the Annual General Meeting.

History of A40 and Te Whare o Toroa Marae

Some things about history